Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 in Review: Music

I bought 180 songs in 2013 (same amount as last year!!), including four complete albums (last year I only bought one). The albums were all from bands I also saw in concert:

Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob More poppy than their earlier albums, this is one I can listen to start to finish. The beats are great for cleaning house ;)

The National - Trouble Will Find Me  The National is showing up in all my favorite things lately. They were on The Mindy Project. They had a song on the Catching Fire soundtrack. And they sang The Rains of Castamere on Game of Thrones. They are amazing and I love this entire album.

MS MR - Secondhand Rapture At first I was only into a couple of the songs, but upon repeated listens, I really fell in love with the catchy lyrics, melodic hooks, and sultry pop atmosphere.

Bastille - Bad Blood My pick for best album of 2013. Of course that might have something to do with the fact that I am certain Dan and I have the same muse. So many of the themes he explores are present in my forthcoming novel CHASING BEFORE. So much so that I am gobsmacked. See especially Bad Blood, Flaws, and Things We Lost in the Fire.

2013 songs on heavy rotation (indicates top 5)

*Things We Lost in the Fire – Bastille
*Hurricane – MS MR
Fireproof – The National
Love They Say – Tegan and Sara
*Midnight Drive – Still Corners
*Overdose – Little Daylight
*Lies - Chvrches
Beauty Queen – Foxes
Youth – Daughter
The One That Got Away – The Civil Wars
Get Lucky – Daft Punk
Safe and Sound – Capitol Cities
Troublemaker – Camera Obscura
Lilies – Bat for Lashes
If So – Atlas Genius
Sweater Weather – The Neighborhood
Drift – RZA (from Pacific Rim soundtrack)
Mirror - Ellie Goulding (from Catching Fire soundtrack)
Dream - The Boxer Rebellion
Waiting for Something to Happen - Veronica Falls

Favorite finds from previous years (indicates top 5)

*Deadlines and Commitments – The Killers (2012)
*Harbor Lights – A Silent Film (2012)
Youth Without Youth – Metric (2012)
Myth – Beach House (2012)
Let Her Go – Passenger (2012)
No Rest - Dry the River (2012)
Afternoon - Youth Lagoon (2011)
*A Little Piece - The Jezabels (2010)
*On The Surface – Civil Twilight (2010)
Girls Like You – The Naked and the Famous (2010)
Sweet Disposition – The Temper Trap (2009)
No Direction – Longwave (2008)
Lights Out – Santigold (2008)
*Satellite – Guster (2006)
Le vent nous portera – Noir Desir (2001)

Live Music in 2013

+ Mumford & Sons - Dusseldorf, Germany - April (Highlight: none. I absolutely hated the venue, Mitsubishi Halle, and will never attend a concert there again. The terrible venue affected my overall enjoyment of the concert)
+ Tegan and Sara - Frankfurt, Germany - June (highlight: Call it Off)
+ The National - Luxembourg - November (highlight: Bloodbuzz, Ohio)
+ MS MR - Frankfurt, Germany - November (highlight: how excited they were to be on stage. Loved it!)
+ Bastille - Luxembourg - November (highlight: umm... during Flaws, Dan came into the audience, touched me on the shoulder and said hello. Note that I was the only person sitting (in a bar stool) in the whole place due to my recent surgery. It was pretty surreal.)
+ I had tickets to see The Light Princess in London, but couldn't go due to my hospitalization. Major Bummer. Glad that Tori Amos is embarking on a tour in 2014 and I already have tickets to five shows.

Have any recommendations for me based on my taste? Would love to hear them!!


Beth S. said...

Despite your bad experience at the Mumford and Sons concert, I still REALLY want to see them in concert.

Wow! Five Tori Amos shows? I haven't seen a Tori show in years. I think Johnathon and I were engaged when we saw a Tori show last. I need to remedy that.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Beth - If I had actually been able to see them it would have been one thing, but nope. I might as well have been in a crowded airport listening to my iPod, catching random snatches of the band on a tv screen. That's what it felt it like.

Kailana said...

I am so beyond behind in music. I am kind of impressed I even know who some of these people are... I think I might bookmark this to explore more.

bermudaonion said...

I went to one concert last year - The Black Keys. Can you believe Mumford and Sons came to our little town?

Alison Can Read said...

Great list and great taste in music. I haven't gotten into the new Tegan and Sara album like the old ones. I should give it more time. I adore the new National album. I'm going to see them in concert in February at the Sydney Opera House (super excited...coincides with our trip to Australia).

Are you an Alt-J fan? I really like their album. Also spent a lot of time listening to the new Vampire Weekend and The Mowgli's albums.

Jennifer @ The Bawdy Book Blog said...

I see we have similar tastes in music. This may well come in handy at BEA!

I love Mumford and still want to see a show.